AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Pet loads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting the AMP to function reliably

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jurras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 2:01am
Well Bigdog I hope you do add to the list. I have written so much about tuning AM's that I've forgotten all the articles, or assisted other writers wanting to write about them. Have written numerous tune up points in the AM Newsletters, as well as Kent L. has done for me.
If you do not have all copies of the newsletters there are people here on the site that sell copies, the originals have become quite pricey.
Cheers, keep shooting.
AutoMagyar View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutoMagyar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 12:34am
Originally posted by bigbrowndog bigbrowndog wrote:

as an update I have a 150# porker that has succumbed to the AMP.  Looking forward to adding to the list.

Trapr 

Being North of the border, that's a totally alien game species to me.  I know wild boars and such are quite popular down south, and someday I look forward to taking a trip down there, hopefully with my AMP, to partake of that great tradition.  
In the meantime, I'm curious to know just a smidgeon about how you go about getting a pig, boar, peccaries, or whatever you have down there and refer to them as. 
Once you track them and get to know their territory and habits, what method do you hunt them by?
Driving, stalking, stand hunting?  And what typical range do you get a shot at them from? Do you use calls, bait, etc.?  I'm not looking for a long description of the technique or your secrets, just a quick rundown of the general scheme of things.  

I did get a laugh of out the Nuge and his Aporkalypse video from the helicopter a while ago.  Good ol' Uncle Ted.  Saw him in concert a few times in his heyday when I was in high school back in the day, when Free For All and then Cat Scratch Fever were new albums.
Heh, heh.
Cheers.

"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
jurras View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jurras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 4:47am
All those species you named are ifferent animals, al require a different approach. A good Mast season can help. Wild pigs are all over an usually are just domestic gone feral. Different parts of the country require different approaches.
First timers should contact a good guide service in that area you would like to hunt.
The helo approach is where they have caused considerable damage to crops, irrigation systems etc. FWIW dept.
bigbrowndog View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbrowndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2013 at 8:28pm
Mr Jurras is correct, what we broadly refer to as "wild Boar" is typically feral animals.  I am unaware of any "true" wild boar in the US, that  was not brought over from other parts of the world.

that said,  feral pig is every bit as fun to hunt as true wild boar, I grew up in Europe running the woods and forests of Germany and Austria so I have some firsthand knowledge.  I also run a destructive animal abatement company, as a second job.  I have contracts with large ranches and farms, and have worked with the National Park service as well as municipalities to assist in their problems with Feral pig, and destructive canine issues.

spot and stalk, still hunting, and sit and wait over bait are all viable methods.  there are many guides and ranches that would be happy to book a hunt for you if you desire, and you can pretty much use any legal method you desire.

Lee, I'm just happy to have the gun running, I am very pleased with the accuracy, but am a bit concerned about the longevity as I've read somewhere that some crucial and expensive or hard to find parts will only last  1000 or so rounds. Granted that can be a long time and many many years, but since the history of my particular gun is unknown (Pasadena A00264) it is a bit disconcerting to think that it might become a paperweight or safe queen at any time. 

In the mean time, I'll keep the front sight on fur and enjoy it. Thank you for your help.

Trapr 
jurras View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jurras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2013 at 3:39am
Big Dog, the Pasadena will have more good parts w/455 Carpenter steel.
Yes any gun is subject to breaking parts. But like you say it could be many rounds and many years of good hunting. I had about 5 years of Africa, Alaska, and North American with 50 CUP pressure loads.
Kent Lomont wrote an article saying how many rounds it took to break each and every working part on the AM. What he failed to mention was that most of the loads he used ran 65K CUP, he lost more primer pockets than parts.
Oh well, use it as you see fit. But if you make it a safe Queen, you will be missing out on a lot of good shooting.
Keep shooting and good luck.
P.S. the AM is not the holy Grail. Shoot till a major part breaks then make it a safe queen.   Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123