AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Pet loads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting the AMP to function reliably

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbrowndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting the AMP to function reliably
    Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 8:37pm
OK, with 200gr xtp's I started at 27grs w296 I have progressed to 29grs, I still cannot get the bolt to lock back on a empty mag. Accuracy is great, some old data that I have found shows 30-32grs of w296 to be OK for the AMP, the data is from Jurras/Nonte articles, the major manuf. load manuals show 27grs to be max.   So I want to make sure that 30-32grs is OK to go with. It's not like I don't trust the data I just want to make sure there are no editorial typos, and I don't want to damage the gun needlessly.

Thanks for the help

Trapr
Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 12:14am
Trapr/Dog
Go to Ian's AMY webiste, he has posted some reloading data from old Horandy and Sierra manuals.
For what it's worth, mine works fine in the range you are using : WW296 26-28 grs.
Good Luck
Gerry
MI
bigbrowndog View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbrowndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 1:04am
AMY????
paul v. View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul v. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 1:53am
BIGBROWNDOG,
My Pasadena doesn't stop hiccupping until @ 30g-31g H110(296),Starline brass,200g XTP,CCI 350. Work up slowly, stiff-arm that bad boy and let her rip.
paul v.
bigbrowndog View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbrowndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 2:17am
Good enuf, I ain't skeered. Just don't want to break my new toy.
I went back and looked at all the old original data I have and some of LEJ's pressure info, so I'll
Bump up to 29.5 and 30grs and let'er buck. Accuracy has been everything I've heard and read about.

On a side note, two of my mags have small cracks, does anyone repair them or are they trash??

Trapr
paul v. View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul v. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 2:49am
Quite a few years ago I had one of my mags (original stainless) TIG welded I believe. If they are stainless they might be able to be repaired. I can't recall(CRS) at the moment who I had do the work, but they did a decent job without warping anything. I'll dig around in my stuff to see if I still have a receipt. I'll get back to you.
Paul v.
silvermane_1 View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvermane_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2012 at 3:34am
bigbrowndog
AMY is a typo, he ment Ian's AMT page.
paul v. View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul v. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2012 at 1:10am

BIGBROWN D

I'm finally getting back to you on your cracked magazines. I had my mag. repaired in 2003 by "Cylinder-Slide.com". The person I communicated with was Ralph. The charge for repairing one magazine (mine,floorplate broke off the body) was around $20.00 + shipping with a 2 week turnaround. I hope this helps you & whoever else might need repairs to 44amp. magazines.
PAUL V.
jurras View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jurras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 5:42pm
The first step in loading for the AM is to differiniate between a gun malfunction and or a insufficient load. Takes some trial and error, no set rules. Headspace, proper lube , smooth feed ramp, are a few things to consider. FWIW
Auto Mag View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Auto Mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 1:56am
Originally posted by jurras jurras wrote:

The first step in loading for the AM is to differiniate between a gun malfunction and or a insufficient load. Takes some trial and error, no set rules. Headspace, proper lube , smooth feed ramp, are a few things to consider. FWIW

Well you sure said a mouthful  Lee,,,

That was the exact problem I had with my first AM.  It would not cycle reliably and I tried a bunch or loads (different bullets and powders and loads)  and got no where as I did not know the gun was actually broken.

The top "ear" was broken on the rear of the bolt and the piece was floating in the cocking piece and probably jamming the action.

Some lessons cost more than others,,,,

Heed LEJ's words of wisdom, he speaks volumes about such matters.  Not sure I agree with his guidance on adult beverages, but I'm willing to buy a couple bottles and discuss the matter during a "sampling" session.  Wink 

GH
Who was that masked man,,,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>