AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Modified AR shooting 44AMP?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omie01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 10:07pm
WOW, any one of those would be fun to play with. Although in the AR platform I wouldn't want to fund a day out with any of them. Wait....... I guess I already do...sort of? LOL I really like the idea of the 458 Socom. Sounds like a bad ass cartridge!!
curmudgeon View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 11:47pm
omie01, if you want to play with all the different cartridges, chamber a bbl for the T/C or Encore, much cheaper shooting. I've built them from 17 Hornet to 300 Win Mag.   Wink
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 12:20am
Lee,

I love my original T/C's.  My 357 AMP SSK barrrel is my favorite, it's probably my most accurate.  And I picked it up used along with the Contender.

Of course I have a set of 375 Winchester pistol and carbine barrels, which makes a cool combo.

The T/C Carbines are superlight, and short, and just plain fun.

I just need to find a 21" tapered 7-30 Waters barrel.  I need to post on the T/C forum and trade some barrel I don't shoot anymore.......

They are fun and easy to chamber for darn near anything, especially the Encore that can take some serious stuff.

Jason

jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 12:21am
P.S.

The biggest issue with the AR platform is the magazine.  Selecting a correct one could be tricky. 

Jason
Rumore View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 12:26am
For Encore/Contender barrels, Match Grade Machine will sell you any caliber unchambered barrel that you want, and then you can just chamber it with whatever reamer you want.  Give them the case head dimensions and they will install an extractor that fits as well.  About the only thing you can't run in a Contender/Encore is a substantially rebated rim case, like the .458 SOCOM.  Of course, you can use the rimmed version .458 SOCOM-R like this one that I put together back in 2001.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 1:00am
Built all my own extractors, When at the factory, picked up blank extractors by the handful, spring loaded when necessary. IN THE T/C custom carbines used 3 and 4 leaf folding express sights. Usually a patridge type front sight but made a couple with folding front beads for low light conditions, similar to the fine English doubles. Used real ivory inlay for the front bead. These were in 500 Jurras Howdah caliber. A 500 gr. Semi spitzer @ 1500 plus. A 500 gr. LBT cast would out penetrate a 500 gr. Solid from a 458, because the LBT WFN would not drift going thru flesh and bone like the RN 500gr. Win solid. Noticeable recoil in a 5.5 lb. T/C carbine. But not objectionable when shooting game, but a fe rounds off the bench when sighting in could be a days fun. 
Rumore View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 2:03am
I imagine a 500gr bullet at 1500fps from a super light 5.5 lb gun would jolt you pretty good off the bench.

I have a 7.5 pound Ruger #1 in 450 Nitro, pushing a 500gr bullet at 2500fps and it's quite a handful offhand.  I have never had anyone handle more than 3 shots and most quit at one or two.  The 450 Nitro can be stoked way up in #1 compared to a double gun.  I have never shot it off the bench and probably never will.
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 2:06am
Tony,

that looks like a test bed for Leupold Scopes......

Lee,

I bet that was a hoot to shoot!!

Jason
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curmudgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 3:42am
Yes Jason a hoot. But nothing compared to the single shot 4 bore John Ross had made up for himself and Kent L. John said he quit at 1500 FPS with a 2200 gr. bullet. Kent quit at 2200 fps. He said it hurt his knee so bad. I sad knee, how. He said it spun him around and drove his knee to the ground. What made it real bad was the rock just below the surface of the dirt. Finally dislocated his shoulder, and broke his collar bone. with it and put it up. I thought maybe this attributed to his bone cancer. No  it was broken up bones from his Bull riding days in college. To say the least Kent was a true unique individual. A PhD engineer, shooter,,tinkerer outdoorsman, photographer extrodinaire. The last of a breed.   Cry
Gerry View Drop Down
R.I.P.
R.I.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 1:31am
What case is the .458 SOCOM-R based on? I searched, nothing popped up.
Thanks
Gerry
MI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>