FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bent hammer struts help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
usrguns View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usrguns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bent hammer struts help
    Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 3:10am
Looks like Numrich has them in stock!!!
If you can't have fun doing it, then don't do it.
jw4570 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw4570 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 2:59am
I have straightened them and had it work.

Now where to get struts. I guess it's High Standard? I've heard of spotty response though I haven't tried them.

Brian-possibility to make some? Better quality? I don't think that will solve the bending issue when the trigger is pulled when the slide is off the frame.

Jason
timdurgasr View Drop Down
Baby Auto Mag
Baby Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdurgasr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2013 at 5:04pm
I was at the range with my Automag 2 and had a misfire problem. When I cocked the hammer back it went forward and fired several  times. It was then when I disassemble I found out  that  the hammer strut was bent.
newbedoo View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbedoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 12:57am
The first time I took the gun out the hammer was sticking. When I took it apart I found the strut and spring bent back back and binding. 
XP001 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XP001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 8:01pm
need some pics of this bent thingy. I have never seen one bent, shot my III-30 may times no issue with factory stuff. Maybe the last owners hot-loads caused it? Will they still function bent or what happens when they do bend? How did you notice they were bent?
sirsaka View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirsaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 5:19pm
Newbee,

The strut may get bent rearward with time but yes you are right, the strut will be bent severely forward after only one drop of the hammer without the slide in place. This will cause problems such as feeding, misfires and short cycling.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
Stormy View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 10:20am
Originally posted by sirsaka sirsaka wrote:

There's a fine line with parts this small and of this configuration between too hard and too soft. Heat treating them most likely would have added the element of breakage in the field and I'm sure Larry thought about that. I'm afraid that it would only have changed the bent strut into a broken strut. The struts in their current form seem to last a lifetime as long as the hammer is not mistakenly dropped without the slide in place. Just a thought. Big smile

Thanks for going easy on me Brian.Tongue

That makes perfect sense.
Looking for a Hollywood Super Turret and Hollywood Automatic Reloading Machine
newbedoo View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbedoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 7:23am
Thanks for the help. Looks to me the stuts are bent back. If it was due to fireing with out the slide on would it not be bent forward? I was thinking the slide was cooming back too far and pushing the hammer back and down  too far causing the strut to hit the back part of the spring hole and bending it back.
I may be wrong though as the guns came to me used.
sirsaka View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sirsaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 4:15am

There's a fine line with parts this small and of this configuration between too hard and too soft. Heat treating them most likely would have added the element of breakage in the field and I'm sure Larry thought about that. I'm afraid that it would only have changed the bent strut into a broken strut. The struts in their current form seem to last a lifetime as long as the hammer is not mistakenly dropped without the slide in place. Just a thought. Big smile

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
Stormy View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stormy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 1:19am

Ok, I'll ask what is on some of a lot our minds and be the Village Idiot;  can't the struts be hardened? or rehardened... or harder? without being brittle?

I'm waiting for Curmudgeon to spank me on this one! CryEmbarrassedWinkWink
Looking for a Hollywood Super Turret and Hollywood Automatic Reloading Machine
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>