AMT Guns forum

Forum Home Forum Home > Auto Mag Pistol > Message Board
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Auto Mag vs. Pantera

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRX302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Auto Mag vs. Pantera
    Posted: 23 May 2012 at 1:08pm
There are times when you don't know whether to go for envy or jealousy.

Over on Cast Boolits, a member was telling about meeting Lee Jurras so they could talk Auto Mags. Lee drove up in a yellow Pantera.

Wall, it makes a kind of sense. Lee had the gun I always wanted, he might as well have the car I always wanted too.

I'd actually compared the Auto Mag to the Pantera before. They had very similar histories - drop-dead gorgeous, rushed into production before being finished, multiple corporate reorganizations, production trickling on intermittently while the factory tried to make a profit on other things. Nobody really knows how many Panteras were made; somewhere between 7,000 and 10,000... which means the number of Pantera owners and Auto Mag owners are similar.

Tom Tjaarda was from America and the Pantera was made in Italy. Max Gera was from Italy and the Auto Mag was made in America. Both projects started around 1970. That's enough for any conspiracy theorist to get at least one book contract and a handful of guest appearances on TV...
CA357 View Drop Down
180 Auto Mag
180 Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CA357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 6:57pm
Yup, the Pantera has been a dream car for me as well for many years. 
darrell View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 7:27pm
Yeah, was looking at Pantera's yesterday!  Still out there and compared to other stuff, still within reach!  Kid doesn't really need to finish college right?   Oh well, maybe later.  At least I have my Auto Mags to play with....
darrello
Pantera Mike View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pantera Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 2:03am
Wow, amazing. Resurrecting an old thread here as I was touring through the archives. I bought my yellow Pantera at the age of 24 in 1989 and it was my first car. I went on to become one of the world’s leading Pantera dorks. I’m surprised I didn’t know that Lee had one, as I got to know an awful lot of Pantera owners around the world over the years

I wish I had made friends with him when I could. We shared a common passion and I likely would have been drawn to the Automag that much sooner......
Travis Morgan View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 3:59am
Pantera? wow! My present budget only allowed me to get a pair of Italian made Belorama Ray Ban sunglasses. Same ones Clint wore back in the 70's, but I got a fat head and it just don't look the same. Park them beside an automag and it makes everything look just right. Cool

KMP View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 4:34pm
While working for Gun World Magazine, Dean Grennell told me when he visited Lee in Shelbyville that in the front office of SuperVel was that Pantera. I guess Lee liked to look at the car while at his desk.

Eric
TRX302 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRX302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 3:38am
I finally got an Auto Mag, but unless the Financial Windall Fairy beat me with her wand, the closest I'll get to owning a Pantera is 1/24 scale.

Back when I built engines I did a couple for Panteras, though.

Hmph. I was going to upload a couple of pictures, but they're not showing up for some reason.
CrazyLarry View Drop Down
International Auto Mag
International Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyLarry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2018 at 3:41pm
I was at a car show years back. 

They had a Pantera along with several other nifty vehicles that were/are beyond my pay grade.

Built for short people. I envy people those that can afford AND fit into them.

Rocketthon View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocketthon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 1:44pm
My enjoyment and desire for exotic cars has always been limited by the simple fact that  I am 6'7".  Not much out there I can fit in but being big sure makes it work for having an Automag as your favorite gun.  My 70 'Vette is the only one of the fast cars I was comfortable in and just as fast as a Pantera, I know because I beat a few in autocrosses (not to mention Porches, Ferrari s, and a slew of Trans Am's).  About being that big and shooting Automags, or for that matter any big high recoil pistol,  having hands that can cover a sheet of paper and forearms of a mechanic a gun does not move much when fired so they all function pretty well.

When the Viper first came out I was in a showroom looking and the dealer principle walked by and said "don't even think about trying to get in".
When you are up to your neck in alligators it is hard to remember your original intention was to drain the swamp
TRX302 View Drop Down
Callahan's Auto Mag
Callahan's Auto Mag

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRX302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 5:24pm
I don't know about 6'7, but one Pantera owner I know is 6'5 and lifts weights. When he bought a second Pantera (the scumbag!) he had one of the Pantera boutiques (Mike Cook?) weld in some dropped floor pans, though.

A Pantera is lots roomier than a Lotus Elite!
 Post Reply Post Reply